Sunday, March 9, 2014

Making business formal fun


Eight to five for me means slacks or a skirt and a jacket. It's far from my college uniform of jeans and riding boots or even leggings and sneakers. Going from super casual to super dressed up was intimidating at first. Not only did I have no idea where to start, but buying suits is expensive! Luckily I figured it out by my first day of work (with a lot of help from mom).

Since my first day of work, my wardrobe has expanded quite a bit and I've added my own flair to the classic skirt and jacket.

Here are a few ways I add a little fun to my business formal wardrobe.

1. Mix & Match
On mornings when I hit snooze one too many times, throwing on my black skirt and jacket and a simple shirt makes getting ready for work a breeze. But, when I do have a little more time on my hands, I like to build an outfit for work. Usually this is done by mixing and matching tops and bottoms. Gray jacket, black skirt, polka dot shirt. Black pants, stripe jackets, white sheer shirt. And one of my new favorite pieces is a blue blazer I got recently from The Limited (my go-to suit store). Mixing and matching is an easy way to get out of a black and navy rut. 

2.  The Business of baubles
Statement necklaces are one of my favorite pieces to add to a suit. They make a classic suit pairing a little more exciting. They're an instant way to add fun to your most serious suit. But beware: keep the statement simple. Too much color or sparkle might not be appropriate for the office. A pearl cluster necklace from The Limited is my favorite. 

3. Wrap it up
This seemingly never-ending polar vortex has been a downer in many ways. The silver lining to it all might just be the opportunity to wear scarves to work for the past five months. I've been a huge scarf fan since I bought my first lime-green one in Paris in 2008. And I've racked up quite the collection. Adding one to a suit is another instant way to add a little personality to your regular eight to five wardrobe. 

4. In her shoes
Black pumps run rampant around my office. They're simple, classic and match with everything. But wearing them with a black suit can get boring. Purchasing a pair with some flair can add some fun to your outfit in no time. And who doesn't want an excuse to buy some new shoes? Some of my favorites include patent with cream bows, grey suede heels and camel suede wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment