Monday, April 20, 2015

Half Marathon #2 in the books!

Last weekend, I crossed the finish of my second half marathon. Although I've been running consistently for a year now, I'm still so amazed that I've run not one but two halfs (halves?) and signed up for my third today! Who am I?



Getting ready for this half was a lot more difficult than the first one, mostly because training in the winter is so so so different from training in the summer. First and most notably,  in January, it's dark when I wake up and it's dark when I get home from work, so it's almost impossible to get your weekday runs in outside. No running alone in the dark for this girl! So that means I had to succumb to treadmill running, which I would not wish on my worst enemy. I just can't get myself to enjoy it. Also, I know this is news to no one, but it is cold in the winter! It was a huge challenge to stay consistent with my training this time around. So the fact that I even finished my race is quite an accomplishment to me.

BUT, I didn't just finish my race. I SHATTERED my pace. I hobbled, half-sprinted across the finish sixteen minutes earlier than in October. The realistic part of me thinks I probably started too fast to be consistent throughout the 13 miles, but the fun part of me is just like, who cares. A 16-minute PR is a huge deal, and I am so incredibly proud of myself for finishing and finishing in record time. And I didn't do it alone. Check out some of my favorite running clothes and accessories that have helped me get through all of my long runs.


These Feetures socks are everything. Moisture-wicking socks are so important during long runs and these are my favorite. The way they hug your feet is so comfortable. And the come in the cutest color combinations. 


I cannot say enough good things about these shoes. The right running shoes really have an effect on your comfort while running and afterwards. I highly recommend getting fitted for the right shoes if you're planning to train for any long-distance race

I swear by these guys for any distance longer than five miles. They taste great, are easy on my stomach and have prevented me from ever hitting the proverbial, yet oh-so-real wall while running.


No comments:

Post a Comment