Monday, May 5, 2014

To the class of 2014

Fifty-one weeks ago, I slipped on a black, polyester robe, curled my hair and pranced across that stage like I was the queen of the world. It was the moment I had been worked toward for 18 years and all I wanted to do was cry my eyes out. I was a college graduate. What an accomplishment! Gosh, I was so sad.

Today, my Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat were filled with photos and messages from my sorority sisters as they got ready to go alum. I really empathize with them because one year later, I feel the exact same way they do today.

I still long for a night out with my friends as we ran into every person we knew. The singing, the laughing, the gossiping.

When it's nice out, I gaze out my office window and wish I had one more day to walk around campus basking in the sun and reveling in this perfect life I had.

My four years in college really were perfect. I know I'm still young, but I really feel like they'll be the best of my life. I met my best friends there. I grew up there. I found my passions there. I gained confidence there. I learned to love myself there. Although every day wasn't perfect, my time there will be irreplaceable.

Looking back, my  college experience can be summed up in one night. The week of graduation. My sisters and I had enjoyed one too many margaritas and we were lying on our quad reminiscing and planning our first reunions. I was so happy at where I was in life but so terrified and so sad that it was all over. It's still hard for me to describe that time in my life. All I can say that it was perfect. Every tear, every bad grade, every embarrassing moment, every frustration was perfect.

Although I'm telling you that you'll still be sad a year from now, I can say that it gets better. Life is great! I have a good job,  an amazing boyfriend, new hobbies, a new car, new clothes and a self respect I never would have if it weren't for those four years. Even though you'll miss your home every single day, there is life after college. You just have to make it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment